Pages

July 22, 2012

Azonto

With an event filled weekend, we had a relaxed but enjoyable time in Cape Coast. Touring the slave castle the first day, we were stuck in our hotel the morning of the second day due to rain. When the sky cleared up we went off on a big canoe to see what Ghanean fishing was like. The water was choppy and the waves were high but the suspense of it all made it that much better. Finally our last day their, we went on a Canopy Walk (Kakum).

My students had exams this week so my time was spent by painting their new school so it can be ready in the fall. I experienced my first community development day this week working side by side with the Ghaneans who live in Safiefe Deme. I had a gash on my leg that the flies kept bothering so a man took me aside and sprayed juice on it from the leaves then covered the cut with a leaf. As it sizzled and burned I was skeptical to see whether it would help or just make it more infected. Later on that evening when I took the leaf off, my gash was closed and hardened over. My first herbal treatment had been a success.

One of the boys in the neighborhood taught me how to dance the "Azonto", a common dance in Ghana. When I figured out there was a song to go with the dance, it just made it all the better. On Friday we skipped school and went to a construction site, where a new school was being built. we spent our day there, hot and tired, shoveling rocks and pushing wheel barrells full of cement. The day was finished and we accomplished a lot, putting down most of the base. Now I look forward to our day trip to Aburi on Saturday. Until then!



Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment