Pages

July 10, 2011

Running

I have found that one of the best ways to really get to see Ho is to try and go everywhere by foot. Walking has allowed me to place myself within my surroundings. And while walking has allowed me to place myself within the context of Ho, it is running that has allowed me to see how Ho is placed within Ghana.

It's about 230pm on a typical weekday in a bustling city. Ho has almost all the scents and sounds that accompany a small city, except with a Ghanaian flare. From our house I turn left onto the main road that runs  into and out of Ho and I start running straight. I run by businesses and homes at first, but after about 10 minutes, the scene shifts. Open farms and small villages replace crowded roads and fruit stands. As I continue running, the mountains seem more clear and the land more vast than I realized. When you are running you can never catch up to the land, there is always more and it is always greater than you are. In this area beyond the city the traffic is much more sparse, with a single taxi or trotro only every couple minutes and only a few people walking. After about 30 minutes I reach a sign that I think reads "millenium centre" and what looks like a larger village. I turn around just before reaching it. For the next 30 minutes I imagine what is beyond that sign. I can't wait to go running again.

1 comment: